Join NRA

Disassembly Question

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 and CPX-2 compact 9mm handguns.

Disassembly Question

Postby mattbren » Tue May 19, 2009 6:12 pm

I just got my CPX-1 last week and cleaned it for the first time today. The manual says that the firing pin can be removed by removing the firing pin retaining screw. It shows the screw in the top of the slide just in front of the rear sight. Problem is, there is no screw in the top of my slide, or anywhere else in close proximity to the firing pin that I can find.

Am I just blind or did they change the way this comes apart from what the manual says? BTW mine is a 25XXX.
mattbren

Re: Disassembly Question

Postby wraith » Wed May 20, 2009 11:29 am

mattbren wrote:I just got my CPX-1 last week and cleaned it for the first time today. The manual says that the firing pin can be removed by removing the firing pin retaining screw. It shows the screw in the top of the slide just in front of the rear sight. Problem is, there is no screw in the top of my slide, or anywhere else in close proximity to the firing pin that I can find.

Am I just blind or did they change the way this comes apart from what the manual says? BTW mine is a 25XXX.

Mine has a serial number starting with 019xxx and it's the same as you describe, but the manual is also like yours. At some point in the near past the slide was redesigned to either remove the firing pin retainer screw or to relocate it to a hidden location, possibly unter the rear sight (don't know, haven't checked). The one email I sent to Sccy after getting mine to clearify this question went unanswered about removing the firing pin. Since removal hasn't been needed yet, I haven't been too concerned about who would need to do it since it doesn't appear I can.
wraith

Postby mattbren » Wed May 20, 2009 12:03 pm

Actually, I just had a conversation with SCCY about this (great people, I might add). They said the slide had been redesigned but the manual had not been updated. Removal of the firing pin involves removing the extractor which is something I probably won't do. However, they suggested when cleaning the gun, to take a drift and push the firing pin forward from the back and spray or squirt cleaner down through the firing pin hole. They said this would thoroughly clean the pin and disassembly would not be necessary. They also suggested wiping off the tip of the pin real well while it was pushed forward.
mattbren

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion