Sccy CPX-1 vs. Kel-Tec P11

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 and CPX-2 compact 9mm handguns.

Sccy CPX-1 vs. Kel-Tec P11

Postby tboneuls » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:29 pm

I have been looking at subcompact 9mms for a few weeks.  I had almost decided on the Kel-Tec when several dealers at a gun show I attended recommended the CPX-1 instead.  Comparing specs, it looks better.  I have done more research (here and elsewhere) that seems to be good and bad - many here (and elsewhere) love the gun.  Some have had nothing but problems.  I know some of the earlier serial numbers had more problems.

This will be my first gun, and I plan on getting my CCW soon.  I want something I can always carry if need be.

So my questions is - what do you guys think (I know this might be a bit biased, but I want some more opinions)?  Are most if not all of the problems resolved in the new revisions?  What serial number range should I look at?  I am also interested in >10 round magazines if they are available (nothing insane, but I might want a 12-15 round one).  Also, the trigger lock that comes with it looks a bit flimsy in all the pictures - is that true?  What other recommendations/opinions/comments would you have for a new owner looking at this category?
tboneuls

Postby limestone75 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:56 pm

The CPX-1 was not my first pistol, I have a few from the 1911's, Sigs, CZ's, and a Glock. Like you I wanted a small carry. I picked the CPX over the Kel Tec, I felt like the finish was better. Since Aug. when I got the CPX, I have fired over 1000 rounds without a single hickup, always cleaning after the range visit. I guess the only thing I don't like about is that it's DAO with a 9 lb. trigger pull, but then again so is the Kel TEC P-11..
limestone75

Postby Pocket_Pistol » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:17 pm

Pocket Pistol

"No longer waiting for the MPX"
Pocket_Pistol
Veteran Member

Postby harley945 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:14 am

I bought my sccy pistol after comparing the kel-tec side by side. i, too felt kike the sccy was a better made pistol ,and it may be.However,Ive owned two kt products,the .380 and the p-11. In hindsight, the kel-tec would have been my choice.I don't think serial numbers are indicators of good or bad pistol. like the previous post said he has over 1000 trouble free rds. and many more do as well. My pistol was around 10000 [Ser .
# not rds.]Then some of the earliest guns are doing fine.If i can say this without any sccy owners taking offense,don't buy either,look at a  Ruger.  about the 300.00 price range. I did and  haven't looked back. It just seems that with sccy pistols that you may get a good one probably will,. but,you may not. granted,that can be said of any gun. but the odds seem better with most other guns at this time.
harley945

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion