Broken Ejector

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

Broken Ejector

Postby getvicious » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:59 pm

Today I noticed my ejector is broken (CPX-1 s/n 039xxx).

I had two cases fail to eject today in 8 rounds fired. I checked out my gun and saw the ejector had broken off. Please see the attached picture.

I emailed SCCY this evening, with the picture, and will call them Monday AM. Is the ejector something I can replace myself or do I need to send the gun back to you for repair?

Aggravating!!!
Attachments
Broken Ejector 1.jpg
getvicious
Veteran Member

Re: Broken Ejector

Postby HootmonSccy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:23 am

Sorry about the broken Ejector, not a common problem, but I've heard of a few ejector issues.
I believe I saw where someone replaced this themselves, but when I called on Monday, I'd ask to speak to Don and ask him..
IF you decide to replace it yourself, it would be great if you wrote up some instructions and with pictures would be even better!!!

Let us know how hit goes!!
SKYY S/N XXX69XX
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Re: Broken Ejector - Fix 1 of 2

Postby getvicious » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:36 am

Got my new ejector and pin from SCCY this past week. I put the new part in yesterday evening. Basically remove the slide - knock old pin out - lift out old ejector - place new ejector in gun - tap new pin in place - put the slide back on the gun.

A pretty easy fix. I'll shoot it tomorrow for a good test and post how it works.

The pics below show the details of the fix...

Fix Ejector 01 Text.jpg

Fix Ejector 02 Text.jpg

Fix Ejector 03 Text.jpg
Fix Ejector 03 Text.jpg (45.29 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

Fix Ejector 04 Text.jpg

Fix Ejector 05 Text.jpg

Fix Ejector 06 Text.jpg
Last edited by getvicious on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
getvicious
Veteran Member

Postby RetiredGuy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:14 am

getvicious: Thanks for all the extra effort and pics... That's a well-thought-out and helpful post!
RetiredGuy

Re: Broken Ejector - Tested Good

Postby getvicious » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:53 am

I just got back in from my "back yard" and testing the repaired CPX-1.

Ejector worked normally without any issues. Once again, life is good!!

By the way RetiredGuy, thankyou for the kind words.
getvicious
Veteran Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:35 pm

Good Job "getvicious" - That's what the site is all about!! Finding an issue, finding the solution and posting the info so others can benefit from your experience...
Great job on the pictures and explanations!!!
SKYY S/N XXX69XX
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby JBrady » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:32 am

OK, wait a minute. I guess it is not uncommon for someone (me) to call something by the WRONG name... :bash:

I have been calling the "ejector" something COMPLETELY different than what you have posted. Honestly, I did not know what that small metal tab was that apparantenly is the EJECTOR!!!

Ok, what I have been calling the ejector is the the spring loaded claw that pulls the spent shell from the barrel. What the heck is that if not the ejector???
CPX-2 owner as of 2/6/11
JBrady
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:42 am

According to the parts diagrams of all the pistols I've seen, the "spring loaded claw that pulls the spent shell from the barrel" is the extractor. The ejector is the pin that hits the end of the case when the slide cycles after firing and deflects the case to the right and out the ejection port, away from the gun.

The extractor is mounted on the slide. Extracts the spent case from the chamber.

The ejector is mounted to the frame. The spent case hits it and is ejected out of the gun.
getvicious
Veteran Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:24 am

I was with JBrady on this.. Thanx for clearing it up for me!!
SKYY S/N XXX69XX
Benjamin Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby JBrady » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Ahhh...

The EXTRACTOR pulls the empty casing from the barrel and the EJECTOR launches the casing out of the gun.
Makes perfect sense.

Being new to pistols I was wondering what that metal tang did.
I thought it helped guide the shell from the mag into the barrel.
I can now visualize the extractor pulling the casing out of the barrel and into the ejector which acting with a springlike effect "flings" the casing out and away.

I was also wondering what and how your ejector broke. It would seem that there is an interference created between the case and the ejector. As the slide/extractor moves back the empty casing will press into the ejector as a "spring". If the interference is too great or there is a flaw in the spring a stress fracture can appear and eventually fail. This happens to a small percentage of automobile springs with the vast majority weakening over time and a small number break... sometimes quickly.

The simplicity and functionality of these things are growing on me.
Great knowing how stuff works.
CPX-2 owner as of 2/6/11
JBrady
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:42 pm

I can't say why the two ejectors broke. The way I noticed it was the empty cases started flying up out of the gun (a couple hit me on top of the head) rather than flying to the right.

When I looked I found the long end of the ejector had broken off.

I have to say that SCCY has stood behind the gun and the folks there have always helped me with advice and / or parts whenever I've contacted them. In fact the gun is back with them now for the ejector and a cracked slide.
getvicious
Veteran Member

Postby JBrady » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:11 am

getvicious wrote:I can't say why the two ejectors broke. The way I noticed it was the empty cases started flying up out of the gun (a couple hit me on top of the head) rather than flying to the right.

When I looked I found the long end of the ejector had broken off.

I have to say that SCCY has stood behind the gun and the folks there have always helped me with advice and / or parts whenever I've contacted them. In fact the gun is back with them now for the ejector and a cracked slide.

MY EJECTOR BROKE…!
Looks like you are on your third one. Not a great sign.
I will call SCCY trw to get a new one sent out.
How many round through your gun?
Notice you have a cracked slide as well. If you look at my CPX-2 diary I theorize that the recoil spring washer is catching on the slide causing the cracking as well as the FTE/FTL and jamming due to insufficient slide travel. I fashioned a brass washer and that problem seems taken care of for the moment.
I have about 600 rounds through my gun including 150 today.
CPX-2 owner as of 2/6/11
JBrady
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:58 am

How many round through your gun?
Notice you have a cracked slide as well. If you look at my CPX-2 diary I theorize that the recoil spring washer is catching on the slide causing the cracking as well as the FTE/FTL and jamming due to insufficient slide travel. I fashioned a brass washer and that problem seems taken care of for the moment.

I've got 1232 rounds thru my CPX-1. I have a total of 25 malfunctions (FTEject's mostly, a few FTFire's that all went on 2nd strike - the advantage of DAO pistols). All the malfunctions (other than the FTF's) took place while the 1st ejector broke, then when the recoil rod was bad, before I noticed it was bent and after the ejector broke recently. The cracked slides never seemed to cause any malfunctions by themselves.

Yes, this is my 2nd broke ejector. Also the 2nd cracked slide. The gun is at SCCY right now for work. I'll let folks know how the repairs work out. I expect Don & the SCCY folks will get my gun all fixed up and back to me pretty soon.

I read your post about the washer and recoil rod, pretty nice work by the way. We'll see how mine holds up after I get it back from SCCY. I may copy what you did if I have more recoil rod issues in the future.
getvicious
Veteran Member

Postby JBrady » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully SCCY is also paying attention. As I noted and seemingly everyone has noted the recoil spring guide rod gets chewed up fairly quickly. Mine started causing FTE/jams at around 300 rounds. As outlined I made a replacement brass washer and have put roughly 300 rounds through it since and the rod has very little if any apparent new wear. I did polish most of the gouges out of it when I did this work so hard to be completely sure. I do expect the brass to wear over time and probably need replacing. I feel even more certain that the rod and slide failures are due to the binding of the stock washer design. When I get the new spring/rod assembly I will replace the washer with a new brass one and see how things go from there.

BTW, when you installed a new ejector is it loose or snug?
CPX-2 owner as of 2/6/11
JBrady
Seasoned Member

Next

Return to Range Reports