Detail strip and trigger reset mod - VIDEO!

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 and CPX-2 compact 9mm handguns.

Detail strip and trigger reset mod - VIDEO!

Postby ChrisTX » Thu May 23, 2013 10:18 pm

Ok, so I made a crappy video of myself doing this modification from start to finish. Any questions, just ask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSlIpQH_MSQ
Last edited by ChrisTX on Fri May 24, 2013 8:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Re: Detail strip and trigger reset mod - VIDEO!

Postby HootmonSccy » Thu May 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Chris, thanx for taking the time to do this... I learned a lot!
SKYY S/N XXX69XX
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby usmale » Thu May 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Thanks!
Sccy CPX2 two-tone #066XXX EDC
NRA Life Member
Glock Armour
usmale
Forum Regular

Postby TexasLookout » Fri May 24, 2013 5:53 am

I always wondered what the inside of the SCCY looks like. Thank You
TexasLookout
Forum Regular

Postby wrearick » Fri May 24, 2013 6:29 am

Thanks Chris. I am going to try this today (afternoon). I am a little intimidated as I have never been in the guts of a gun (any gun) before so some of what you were doing was not obvious to me, but I will give it a try.
wrearick
Veteran Member

Postby Stratojaxter » Fri May 24, 2013 7:42 am

Thanks for doing this video. I'm sure it will be a big help to many.
The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development... It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.
-Jeff Cooper
Stratojaxter
Seasoned Member

Postby h2otoo » Fri May 24, 2013 8:00 am

Thanks. Good info, for sure.

Bob
h2otoo
Veteran Member

Postby Supa » Fri May 24, 2013 8:36 am

Great vid, would be better in HD but appreciate none the less.
Can we pin this to the top of the forum?
Supa

Postby ChrisTX » Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 am

It's in 720p, but my lighting wasn't great, and my D90 isn't stellar at video. I have all kinds of lighting for stills, but not much in the way of continuous light. I had to do some of the parts multiple times. It's tough trying to keep it somewhat in focus, and in frame without looking at the camera. I'm not a big video person.

Do we need a slide tear down video?
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Fri May 24, 2013 11:15 am

I'd like a slide tear down video!
SKYY S/N XXX69XX
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby h2otoo » Fri May 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Second the slide tear down. Was looking at the inners last night, but was not sure 'bout how the firing pin came out. Nor did my drift pins on the frame want to come out, they are in there pretty good. As said before, thanks for taking the time and doing this.

Bob
h2otoo
Veteran Member

Postby ChrisTX » Fri May 24, 2013 1:36 pm

The frame pins should be tight so they don't work loose during shooting. Mine have been out a few times, so the first time might be a little harder. The pins holding the slide together are roll pins and are really snug. The internals of the frame are tight enough that the pins in there can be loose and it not be an issue. If the roll pins go in and out too easily, I would be calling SCCY for a new set. I had Jason send me a few extras the time my pistol went in for an update. Once you guys learn to do this teardown, you should be able to perform any updates they do on your own. They can send you the parts and you install them. Of the handguns I own, the SCCY is far and away the easiest to completely strip. It's good to detail strip your gun about once a year and give it a thorough cleaning. If it's new, you can look for burrs to file off and gunk building up.

I will try to get the slide torn down this evening.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby HenryinFlorida » Fri May 24, 2013 4:40 pm

So, exactly what does this mod do? It didn't change the travel, from what I can figure it lighten's the spring pressure on the trigger. Is that correct?
HenryinFlorida
Seasoned Member

Postby ChrisTX » Fri May 24, 2013 6:37 pm

HenryinFlorida wrote:So, exactly what does this mod do? It didn't change the travel, from what I can figure it lighten's the spring pressure on the trigger. Is that correct?

It adds more weight to the reset. It might add a half a pound to the trigger pull overall, but I can't tell a difference. Being honest here, the reset on these guns is pretty bad. I own a lot of guns, and outside of my heavy barrel target rifle with a 2lb trigger, this one has/had the weakest reset. I've griped about it on here, and fortunately my gripes did not fall on deaf ears. I have seen plenty of other people complain about it on here too. You almost have to think about getting your finger off the trigger to allow it to fully reset. If you let it reset too slow, there is the chance it won't reset at all. Part of the problem is having such a long trigger pull, but the other part is the return resistance is very weak. By adding more resistance to the trigger, it pushes against your finger allowing for a more positive reset. To most here, it may not seem like much...until you do it. I have carried a gun for a living, and it means a whole lot to me. Personally, knowing this is available, I would not carry this gun without doing it, and I have a lot more confidence in it now than I did before. It is a significant enough improvement that all the new SCCYs coming out the door soon will have this done to them.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby wrearick » Sat May 25, 2013 4:45 am

Okay, I successfully performed this mod on both my SCCY's and both the wife and I noticed the difference and LOVE it! If you are not familiar with many weapons you don't realize the reset is weak until you feel what a good reset feels like.

My daughter's BF who is taking gunsmithing course was there to hold my hand but made me do all the work (he had the punches though). I am glad he was there because I didn't get the CAM assembly to fully seat upon putting it back in but he recognized the arm wouldn't slide over the post on the other end unless it was sticking out further. The video was definately a help. Thanks again for making it. I can understand not being a big video fan. Not being as familiar with the internals of any gun I would have appreciated a commentary on what you were doing and the parts being named as they came off but the music was nice. I am going through the parts diagram in the owners manual now and it makes alot more sense.
wrearick
Veteran Member

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion