Slide Not Sliding Forward?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Slide Not Sliding Forward?

Postby ATLPilgrim » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:47 am

So I took the new CPX-1 apart just to give it some oil, and when I say I took it apart I mean I pulled the slide off the receiver. When I went to put the disassembly pin back in, it clicked in but when I pulled the slide lock down the slide moves forward all of a quarter of an inch. I can't get it to reset back to normal at all without taking the disassembly pin out. Any help?
ATLPilgrim

Re: Slide Not Sliding Forward?

Postby HootmonSccy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:06 am

Are you making sure the pin is going thru the loop in the barrel?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby h2otoo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:21 am

^x2
h2otoo
Veteran Member

Postby ATLPilgrim » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:31 am

Yeah, everytime. When I take the pin out of the kidney hole and release the slide itll drop forward...obviously. There is just something locking it in place when the pin is where its supposed to be.
ATLPilgrim

Postby bonefamily » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:17 am

Hmmm, sounds like the slide could be stopping by hitting the assembly pin head. Are you certain that the pin is all the way in (maybe the click you are hearing is from the pin going through the first part of second barrel flange and not the last)? Try to move the slide forward that 1/4" slowly and see if it is hitting the head of the assembly pin. If so, then the pin is not all the way in. I had the same think happen to me with my PF-9 when I had it.

Perhaps posting a pic could help.
Bryan

Disclosure - I am still a novice shooter. Please take my replies with that in mind, and that I am still learning.
bonefamily
Seasoned Member

Postby ATLPilgrim » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:13 am

Its not hitting the head, I went back and checked. Ill put up a pic when I can but i cant see any other thing that could be stopping it besides the pin somehow...and I found ammo today but cant use it!
ATLPilgrim

Postby h2otoo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:31 am

I just tried to get mine to do what you are experiencing, can't do it. I have the CPX-2, could it be an issue with the safety? If you do figure this out, let us know.

Bob
h2otoo
Veteran Member

Postby ATLPilgrim » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:38 am

I know the manual (and common sense) says leave the safety on when disassembling...Correct me if im wrong but you slide the barrel forward or backward until the kidney shaped hole allows the pin to slide through, right? Then push it all the way in and release the slide hold lever, which should then allow the slide to return. Wtf am I missing here...it has to be the pin somehow...blagh
ATLPilgrim

Postby h2otoo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:45 am

Correct. Once the pin is in you should not be able to slide the barrel. Not that it should matter, but did you try it with and without a magazine (empty, of course) in the gun? I tried both, no difference.

Bob
h2otoo
Veteran Member

Postby ATLPilgrim » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:58 am

h2otoo wrote:Correct. Once the pin is in you should not be able to slide the barrel. Not that it should matter, but did you try it with and without a magazine (empty, of course) in the gun? I tried both, no difference.

Bob

Well once the pin is in and i release the slide hold lever it should return the slide to normal right? because without the pin itll slide off the receiver. and no the magzine made no difference. it should go
1. slide back on rails on receiver
2. push up slide hold lever
3. slide pin into alignment with hole in barrel
4. release hold lever

right? i have to be doing something incredibly dumb...
ATLPilgrim

Postby ATLPilgrim » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:06 pm

Ok! I got it! I was doing everything right but this time I pulled the slide hold lever down, then tried pushing the pin once more. It almost slid onto my finger when I did it but I shot forward and locked. I took it apart again and redid it to make sure it was good to go and as soon as I hit the slide hold lever again it worked. Did it a few more times to put my mind at ease, even walked out back and loaded a mag to make sure it loaded correctly. I think I'm good to go. Question though, the slide hold lever, that thing is under a lot of pressure obviously...after a while would that thing eventually wear down since it's plastic?
ATLPilgrim

Postby h2otoo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:31 pm

Glad you got it. As far a the slide release, there has been reports of people shooting insane number of rounds without failure. I am a bit more concern with the notch in the slide pealing back from the use, so far so good.

Bob
h2otoo
Veteran Member

Postby ATLPilgrim » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the assistance and moral support lol. Anyway, I'll get it out to the range/someone's field soon and give it a run. Can't wait. After my last two rifles I'm ready for a gun that'll give me years and years of service.
ATLPilgrim

Postby HenryinFlorida » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:28 pm

I just got my new CPX-2 on Thursday and had the exact same problem that evening. The pin was meeting some resistance when putting it back together. I pushed harder and it finally went into place and all was well. Guess it's better to be a little tight when new than a little loose.
HenryinFlorida
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:13 pm

ATLPilgrim wrote:...... I think I'm good to go. Question though, the slide hold lever, that thing is under a lot of pressure obviously...after a while would that thing eventually wear down since it's plastic?

Doubtful - the Slide Release mechanism is metal. It's just got a plastic overlay.

Per the SCCY web site: "• Slide Lock/Release: steel with a Zytel over molded polymer extension for ease of operation."
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
[email protected]
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion