Brand New CPX-2 Issues

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 and CPX-2 compact 9mm handguns.

Brand New CPX-2 Issues

Postby Killer_B » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:27 am

Bought a new GEN2 CPX-2 yesterday. Shot (50) rounds 115 FMJ thru w/o any problems.
Nice groups at 30', but always about 6" too high. Dead-on L2R. I noticed (at the LGS)
that the rear sight seems elevated into the top of the dovetail enough to allow me to
see daylight underneath it. I asked the dealer if that was a flaw, and he said no "It has
an adjustment screw". I though he meant elevation adjustment, but it only has sideways
adjustment. At least the gun isn't shooting "low" or else it would be impossible to see
what I'm aiming at. The other issue I have is that (1) magazine doesn't eject (even loaded)
from the gun, and requires a pull to get it out. Not a major issue, since it's my b/u magazine.

Anyone have any suggestions? Seems to be a pretty nice pistol for just over $250 8)
Image Life's Short, Enjoy The Ride ...
Killer_B

Re: Brand New CPX-2 Issues

Postby HootmonSccy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:06 am

There is a set screw for the rear site horizontal adjustment. There is no elevation adjustment...
SKYY S/N XXX69XX
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby wildsailor » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:11 pm

From the manual, page 30 for parts, it looks like the rear sight (number 01-040) fits into a recess of the slide. I do not believe, if this picture is accurate, that there should be any way to see light through under the sight. If in fact the parts do look like this on the Gen 2 CPX then I would suggest removing the rear sight and see if it fits properly to the slide or to make sure nothing is under it.

It will be a while before I get mine (mail ordered) so I have nothing physical to check.

regards,
Dan
SE Michigan
Ruger SR22P
SCCY CPX-2-B
SCCY CPX-1-TT
Sig P238 380 (on order)
wildsailor
Forum Regular

Postby Killer_B » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks for the diagram. It's the same on mine. There's nothing "under" the sight. I can
see all the way thru & underneath it. Only the screw is below. Appears that the side angles
might be too narrow, thus allowing the sight to "seat" at the top of the dovetail rather than
resting on the bottom of it. It 's pulled-up to the top of the groove (off the bottom about .03 or 1/32")
I'll remove the screw just to verify. Hopefully it won't start getting loose afterwards. Loctite
will fix, but I don't want to do anything if covered by warranty.

I guess what I'm asking is if these (2) problems I have with my new CPX-2 are something
that should be corrected by a service call or would these be covered? Maybe the rear sight
was made out-of-print & the magazine is out of tolerance as well? Any suggestions?
Anyone else able to see-thru under the rear sight on their pistols? Just curious...
Killer_B

Postby h2otoo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:26 pm

No way can I see light under my rear sight. Did you try taking it off and reinstalling it? That would be my first move. And with the mag, does it function (shoot) the way it suppose to? If it does I would think the spring is working as it should. Did you try wiping it down with some oil and working it in & out a few times? Don't hesitate to email/call SCCY if these problems do not "clear up". Keep us posted on how things work out.

BOb
h2otoo
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Killer_B wrote:Bought a new GEN2 CPX-2 yesterday. Shot (50) rounds 115 FMJ thru w/o any problems.
Nice groups at 30', but always about 6" too high. Dead-on L2R. I noticed (at the LGS)
that the rear sight seems elevated into the top of the dovetail enough to allow me to
see daylight underneath it. I asked the dealer if that was a flaw, and he said no "It has
an adjustment screw". I though he meant elevation adjustment, but it only has sideways
adjustment. At least the gun isn't shooting "low" or else it would be impossible to see
what I'm aiming at. The other issue I have is that (1) magazine doesn't eject (even loaded)
from the gun, and requires a pull to get it out. Not a major issue, since it's my b/u magazine.

Anyone have any suggestions? Seems to be a pretty nice pistol for just over $250 8)

Is your Rear Sight perhaps sitting on top of the grove in the Slide? You might take it all the way off and the Set Screw all the way out. Place the Rear Sight into the grove as centered as possible then replace the Set Screw. It should sit down into the grove all the way. The Slides are all the same for all the CPX models and are interchangeable. The new Slides are machined a bit differently with a little extra wall thickness in spots but they all fit all the CPX pistops.

Your Magazine issue is the first time I've heard that.

I'd call SCCY and talk to them about your Magazine and maybe the Rear Sight too. In my experience they really do cover pretty much anything other than deliberate damage.
getvicious
Veteran Member

Postby Killer_B » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:27 pm

Took off the rear sight a few hours ago & there was alot of clearance between the slide's dovetail groove & the overall width of the sight. Appears that either the groove was machined too wide or the sight was machined too narrow for the groove. Either way, I inserted a .006 shim stock piece to the front of the sight and re-positioned it into the dovetail groove. It shoots exactly where I aim it now, and the rear sight is at the bottom of the grove like it's supposed to be.

It isn't a BIG deal that all this happened, but it's still disappointing to have self-made repairs on a brand new gun. Sort of like buying a brand new car and having to replace the steering wheel so that you can drive in the right direction...

The magazine is still a tight fit, even after oiling it 2x and inserting & ejecting it many, many times. I might call SCCY to see if they're willing to send me a replacement. I figure its the least they can do for more/less "fixing" the rear sight problem by myself.

Overall, I'm still glad that I bought the CPX-2. It's not my main BU pistol, but I feel that it possibly could be someday...
Killer_B

Postby jax gunslinger » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:36 pm

I had the same problem with one of my new mags as well. It is a factory defect, send it in for replacement. You eat the shipping.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby Killer_B » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:55 am

OK, at least I'm glad to hear I'm not the only "Lottery Winner" here...
Thanks, now I'll have to decide if its bad enough to pay another $6+ for
possibly another one just like it (or worse fit). Apparently no QC check
is performed on the magazines before they ship.
Killer_B

Postby jax gunslinger » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:27 pm

I would not use it, you risk the chance of it enlarging or cracking the mag well.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby Killer_B » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:04 am

I feel that its probably OK to use. It's not hard to insert or remove.
It's just not loose enough to fall-out when I press the eject button.
I can see where it rubs on both sides, whereas the other magazine
appears to be only rubbing on one side.

The main reason I don't want to send it back is the chance of getting
another one that's even a worse fit than this one...
Killer_B

Postby getvicious » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Killer_B wrote:I feel that its probably OK to use. It's not hard to insert or remove.
It's just not loose enough to fall-out when I press the eject button.
I can see where it rubs on both sides, whereas the other magazine
appears to be only rubbing on one side.

The main reason I don't want to send it back is the chance of getting
another one that's even a worse fit than this one...

Don't send anything back. Just call SCCY and tell them your issue. They may just send you a new Magazine. It's a free call and if they send you a Magazine you're still not out any of your own money. You have nothing to loose but about 10 minutes of time.
getvicious
Veteran Member

Postby Killer_B » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:07 pm

OK, I might try that approach. If the new magazine works correctly, then I can send the faulty one back.
I just don't want to ship them mine back & get another one that doesn't work properly either...
Killer_B

Postby jax gunslinger » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:14 pm

Good luck with that, they wanted my old one back first.
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby Killer_B » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:01 am

SCCY told me yesterday that they will send me another rear sight,
but want me to send them the faulty magazine to determine its defect.

Still not sure I want to do that, but probably will if it continues to stick...
Killer_B

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion