Can you turn a 2nd Gen CPX-1 into a 2nd Gen CPX-2?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 and CPX-2 compact 9mm handguns.

Can you turn a 2nd Gen CPX-1 into a 2nd Gen CPX-2?

Postby Str8upChevy » Tue May 24, 2011 6:41 am

Obviously I'm not that familiar with the internal differences in these two guns, other than one has "dual safetys" and the other has "no safety".

So, could a person buy a (second generation) cpx-2 frame, and use all the parts from a (second generation) cpx-1 to put inside it, but leave out the safety parts?

I'm sure the first thing you'll want to ask me is: "Why not just sell the cpx-1 and buy a cpx-2"??? Well, there's a couple reasons. 1) A new frame is only $15.00 - so that would be a very cost efficient way to attain one if a person changed their mind. 2) It can be a big hassle trying to find a private buyer in a small town. And 3)......I wouldn't consider selling it online with the cost of FFL's on both ends. (I won't take that big a loss on a new gun)

You see, after buying this new cpx-1 and firing a few rounds through it, I realized that I really don't care for the whole "Dual Safety" option after all. You see, the right-side safety guard is jamming into the base of my index finger when I grip it tight and I don't like that. So, I'm just wondering if it's possible to do it or not? If not, no big deal. I like the gun enough to keep it the way it is. I'll just have to take a dremel to that guard and smooth it down some.

But it does bring up another question about the "Delete Kit",.......if a company has to manufacture a delete option for one of their own weapons, why would they not take that into account and just make a weapon with the standard safety? I'd almost be willing to bet they'd sell more of those than the "dual safety" cpx's.
Str8upChevy

Re: Can you turn a 2nd Gen CPX-1 into a 2nd Gen CPX-2?

Postby getvicious » Tue May 24, 2011 7:30 am

So, could a person buy a (second generation) cpx-2 frame, and use all the parts from a (second generation) cpx-1 to put inside it, but leave out the safety parts?

I wondered the same thing when the CPX-2 came out.

There are some obvious differences. The CPX-1 (1 gen) has what looks like larger pins holding the receiver to the frame. Maybe it's just the heads that are larger not the pin itself, can't tell. Also on the CPX-1 (either version) the safety holds the pin in place that the hammer pivots on. If you remove the safety from the CPX-1 the hammer pivot rod will move and the hammer will not function. From the pictures I've seen the receiver seems to be the same between the two types (CPX-1 and 2). I have a 1st Gen CPX-1 and had a crack in the slide. SCCY repaired the gen and returned it to me with a CPX-2 slide on it. That also leads me to believe the receivers are the same.

As far as your comment about the "Delete Kit" goes, it doesn't delete anything. The safety removal kit just locks the safety in the 'FIRE" position.

Take a real good look at the parts breakdowns for the two guns before you try something like that. Also, you might call SCCY about the plan. Product liability seems to scream from that type of work, especially by a person who's not a gunsmith. Also I'd have to ask if the warranty might be affected.
Last edited by getvicious on Tue May 24, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
getvicious
Veteran Member

Postby Corey @SCCY » Tue May 24, 2011 9:17 am

********* UPDATE: the conversion is NOT possible at this time, sorry for any confusion*********To answer your question, yes it can be converted over. You'll need the CPX-2 frame and also CPX-2 axis pin. Parts will be around $20. If you decide to go ahead with the plan, call and have a quick chat with Don, our service manager. As far as the question about the "delete kit", that was designed for the "first generation" CPX-1 because some people had issues with accidental engagement due to ther thumb hiting it during recoil. That is also the reason that the "second generation" CPX-1 now have that gaurd molded into the frame, and if they don't need the safety at all (since they are double action only) there is also the choice of the CPX-2.
Last edited by Corey @SCCY on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
**DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions in this message do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of my employer, SCCY Sales/JoJen Inc.**
Corey @SCCY

Postby Str8upChevy » Tue May 24, 2011 9:22 pm

Corey @SCCY wrote:To answer your question, yes it can be converted over. You'll need the CPX-2 frame and also CPX-2 axis pin. Parts will be around $20. If you decide to go ahead with the plan, call and have a quick chat with Don, our service manager. As far as the question about the "delete kit", that was designed for the "first generation" CPX-1 because some people had issues with accidental engagement due to ther thumb hiting it during recoil. That is also the reason that the "second generation" CPX-1 now have that gaurd molded into the frame, and if they don't need the safety at all (since they are double action only) there is also the choice of the CPX-2.

First of all, thanks for everyone's answers and advice......it's greatly appreciated!!! I think my biggest concern was just having that second safety in a very uncomfortable position in relation to my hand grip. Maybe it's just me or the way my hand wraps around the gun, but that new molded guard underneath the right safety really digs into the base of my index finger. Obviously my first thought was to just use a dremel and grind it down smooth and problem solved. But, I didn't want to do anything that would void my warranty. Then again, if I do the cpx2 frame & axis pin swap, that's no doubt going to void the warranty as well.

So, I guess I'll just have to do some more thinking about it and weigh my options. But, at least I found if I "DO" want to swap it over, it is actually possible to do. So yeah, Thanks Corey,.....you definitely answered my question. And if I do decided to go that route, I'll certainly give Don a call and let him know what my intentions are. 8)
Str8upChevy

Postby HootmonSccy » Tue May 24, 2011 9:49 pm

Str8upChevy wrote: Obviously my first thought was to just use a dremel and grind it down smooth and problem solved. But, I didn't want to do anything that would void my warranty.

Should be interesting to see what Corey says about the Dremeling of the plastics.. I think most of us have done some of this to our pistols in one area or another..
SKYY S/N XXX69XX
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby Str8upChevy » Tue May 24, 2011 11:57 pm

HootmonSccy wrote:Should be interesting to see what Corey says about the Dremeling of the plastics.. I think most of us have done some of this to our pistols in one area or another..

Well if you think about it, a person could use a dremel to modify that frame while they owned it,....and then if they decided to sell it down the road, they could always buy a new frame for it ($15.00) and put it back together. I mean if that's the only thing you're doing to it, it seems as though it shouldn't have anything to do with the actual workings or operating of the firearm itself. Obviously that's just a speculation on my part, but yeah, if i do decided to do that, I'll definitely make sure I call and talk to somebody about it first.
Str8upChevy

Postby getvicious » Wed May 25, 2011 8:21 am

Obviously that's just a speculation on my part, but yeah, if i do decided to do that, I'll definitely make sure I call and talk to somebody about it first.

I'd give SCCY a call to get the official word on the warranty. Since we now know the CPX-1 and CPX-2 frames are interchangeable, per Corey's comments, there may not be any warranty issue at all.

The post from Corey was very nice to see but there is the disclaimer:
**DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions in this message do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of my employer, SCCY Industries.**
which means his comments here carry no weight with SCCY and do not obligate them to anything he says. I'm not doubting him but just being realistic.

A lot of folks have modified their SCCY guns like reshaping one or both of the safety levers, reshaping the magazine release button, smoothing various areas of the frame or adding a trigger stop. As far as I know, nobody has been told that these changes have affected their warranties. I know I've had warranty work done and gotten parts under the warranty after making minor changes to my gun with no problems at all.

Call me cautious or anything else you wish but I don't take anyone's word about a warranty other than the manufacturer by email or direct phone call when I can get a name to go with the date / time of the call. That's a habit I've developed from dealing with IT software / hardware vendors and owning my motorcycle shop that has kept me out of a lot of trouble and helped me win more than one lawsuit (proud to say I'm 5 & 0).
getvicious
Veteran Member

Postby Corey @SCCY » Wed May 25, 2011 9:30 am

As far as waranty on the new frame, as long as your using factory parts, if the part has a defect, it's covered. This is an issue of replacement parts, the CPX-1 and CPX-2 (Gen 2's)are the same firearm, just different versions. When it comes to Dremeling of the plastics or other minor modifications, if we determine the firearm failed due to the modification, then it wouldn't be covered. So if you dremel the gaurd off the safety, we probably wouldn't cover the safety, if you dremmel another area of the frame and the frame cracked in that spot, the frame would not be covered, etc... The rest of the firearm is still gauranteed to be free of defects. Our main goal is keeping our customers happy so you tell your friends about us and purchase other firearms in the future, so if you have any specific concerns don't hesitate to call our service deartment. They'll be more than happy to help you.
**DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions in this message do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of my employer, SCCY Sales/JoJen Inc.**
Corey @SCCY

Postby Str8upChevy » Thu May 26, 2011 1:52 am

Corey @SCCY wrote:As far as waranty on the new frame, as long as your using factory parts, if the part has a defect, it's covered. This is an issue of replacement parts, the CPX-1 and CPX-2 (Gen 2's)are the same firearm, just different versions. When it comes to Dremeling of the plastics or other minor modifications, if we determine the firearm failed due to the modification, then it wouldn't be covered. So if you dremel the gaurd off the safety, we probably wouldn't cover the safety, if you dremmel another area of the frame and the frame cracked in that spot, the frame would not be covered, etc... The rest of the firearm is still gauranteed to be free of defects. Our main goal is keeping our customers happy so you tell your friends about us and purchase other firearms in the future, so if you have any specific concerns don't hesitate to call our service deartment. They'll be more than happy to help you.

Well that's kind of the way I've been looking at it too. I mean, if someone accidently dropped the gun and cracked the frame only, why wouldn't one be able to buy a new frame for it, put it back together and stillI have a working warranty? Bottom line is, I have absolutely NO intentions of ever altering the mechanical workings of the gun and the way it operates. Aside from that one little safety guard issue affecting my grip, I have ZERO complaints when it comes to this gun. I actually dig the hell out of it! I'm just soooo glad I was talked out of buying the PF9 and shown this one instead.

Anyway, it sounds to me like it probably won't be an issue,......but like you say Corey, I'll give Don a call tomorrow and run it by him. I'll go ahead and post the results so this particular question about the warranty can be answered.
Str8upChevy

UPDATE

Postby Corey @SCCY » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:40 am

Wanted to let you know we did a conversion here at SCCY and as of right now it is NOT possible to change the Gen1 over to a Gen2 grip. The assembly pins are the issue and our service manager Don is looking into the possibility of making this a reality. I will keep you posted and let you know what we find out. Sorry for the confusion.
Corey @SCCY

Postby Spider3586 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:10 am

Man i am glad i read this post, I was thinking about the same thing for months and also have the exact same issue. The gun functions flawlessly but the dam safety hurts the hell out of my hands as well. I actually bought this gun for my wife and it hurts her hands as well cause of the safety. Shoot for $20.00 i can get the gun i shoulda got in the first place. :D :D
Spider3586

Postby rogertc1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:27 pm

I have a Gen 2 with a safety. i like my safety. My hands are big (can palm a basket ball) but not fat and I have no issues.

Peace out
I HAVE MORE GUNS THAN YOU.
rogertc1
Premium Member

Re: UPDATE

Postby glove » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Corey @SCCY wrote:Wanted to let you know we did a conversion here at SCCY and as of right now it is NOT possible to change the Gen1 over to a Gen2 grip. The assembly pins are the issue and our service manager Don is looking into the possibility of making this a reality. I will keep you posted and let you know what we find out. Sorry for the confusion.

Any news on the conversion? :roll:
Dave
NRA Life Member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club Member 72-75
Don't take life too seriously, No one makes it out alive anyway.
glove

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion